The 4 Components of Home Based Care
What is home based care?
Basically, this is the care of a patient infected and affected of HIV/AIDS i.e. extended from the hospital or health facility to the patient’s home through family participation and community support.
Therefore, the home based care components include:-
a.) Clinical care
b.) Nursing care
c.) Counseling and psycho-spiritual care
d.) Social support
1.) Clinical Management
- Early diagnosis
- Rational treatment and planning for follow up.
- Care of HIV-related illness.
2.) Nursing Care
- Reducing stress and anxiety.
- Promoting positive living and helping individual to make informed decision on HIV testing.
- Planning for the future and behaviour change and involve sexual partner or patient in such decisions.
- Information and referral and support groups.
- Welfare services and legal advice for individuals, families including surviving family members where reasonable with provision for maternal assistance.
Reasons for Home Based Care
- Prevent problems where possible
- Take care of existing problems
- Enable people to know when to get health