The 17 Essential Life Skills You Should Know.
What are Life Skills?
By definition, life skills are abilities which enable an individual develop adaptive behaviour so as to live effectively with challenges and demands of everyday life.
To be factual, life is full of challenges so, you need to know yourself, accept yourself and accept your values as well as other people’s.
More so, life skills are also living values in many cases, which are very important. In addition, all of us should be well equipped to enable us live in harmony with others in a wider community.
How about a skill?
A skill however, is an art of doing something. As a human being, you are a social being. Therefore, you need to accept others and self live with others in harmony.
Importance of Life Skills (As Relevance)
- Life skills enhance your overall development.
- They also promote a positive outlook and a healthier behaviour.
- They translate knowledge, attitude, skills and values into action.
- Life skills develop skills on yourself and others.
- Helps you develop full potential.
- Promotes your state of mental being.
- Helps you to communicate effectively.
Rationale To Study Life Skills
Life skills education is based on the following assumptions:
a.) That you can make a rationale decision given adequate information, skills and desirable attitude.
b.) It is also an effective intervention measure to HIV/AIDS pandemic and other social problems in the society.
c.) They can be integrated into existing programme e.g. educational curriculum can also be integrated into HIV education.
d.) Development of life skills is lifelong and should be started early in life.
Benefits of Life Skills
- It strengthens pupil-teacher relationship.
- Leads to desirable behaviour change.
- Improves discipline in schools.
- Reduces learner’s problems e.g. Drug/substance abuse, teenage pregnancies.
- Helps learners improve their performance.
- Improves socialization process among learners.
- It enables learners to choose good and reliable friends.
- Helps learners use their lecture time wisely/properly.
- It assists learners to recognize and avoid risky situations.
- Life skills bring meaningful interactions among learners, teachers and school community.
- Also life skills help in character building.
- Firstly, we benefit in the prevention and control of diseases such as STI, HIV and Cancer.
- Secondly, it contributes to our physical, mental and social well-being.
- Thirdly, it leads to less strain in health facilities.
- Finally, it helps us to be responsible for our own and other people’s health e.g. by knowing why we need access to health services
a.) Helps us adopt and maintain meaningful cultural practices.
b.) It promotes harmonious interaction between people of different cultures.
c.) It helps in the clarification of values in our societies.
- It brings about high productivity due to motivation.
- It saves time and money.
Let us positively change our lives, shape up the world by teaching and practicing/possessing these 17 life skills. A better future does not come through reading only but reading more and acting accordingly. As responsible, eager and optimistic readers, you can benefit more by also reading Life Skills of Knowing and Living with Oneself | Counseling.
Other topics on health you can visit include:
- What Quality is Your Drinking Water?