Reasons for Delayed Treatment of PID
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is an infection of the female reproductive organs. It is caused by a complication of an STD and can cause great damage to the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and other organs.
Other causes include infectious complications associated with abortion, childbirth and pelvic procedures. Some of the infected women may delay seeking treatment or some circumstances subject them to the delay hence, the severity of the disease which can be fatal. Below are the reasons why treatment is delayed:-
- Distance from the health facility.
- Lack of drugs at government health facilities.
- Religious beliefs.
- Hostile health providers.
- Stigma associated with STDs.
- Fear of breech of confidentiality.
- Affordability of drugs.
- Accessibility affected by certain reasons.
- The symptoms may not be severe.
- State of disease.
- Lack of knowledge about the disease.
- “Wait and see” attitude- When one delays the diseases, illness can subject himself to delayed treatment.
- Poor health behaviour due to seeking believes.
- Misplaced priorities.