How to Understand Nutrition the Easy Way
When you are studying nutrition, it sounds easy when you are aware of the fundamentals. So, how do you define nutrition?
Nutrition is a science of all processes of growth, maintenance and repair of the living body which depends upon the digestion of food as well as study of that food.
How about defining food? This is any solid or liquid which when swallowed, can supply any of the following :-
- Materials from which the body can produce movement, heat or other forms of energy.
- Food is a material for growth, repair or reproduction.
- Substances necessary to regulate the production of energy or the processes of growth and repair.
Classifications of Food
Foods are chiefly classified into plant and animals foods. Food may also be classified according to the type of nutrients and the functions they perform on the body.
Before we proceed, let’s get to know what a nutrient is. This is a substance(s) or component(s) of food that carry out the necessary bodily functions. Here they are:
- They provide the body with energy and may also be converted (or excess carbohydrates) into fat.
- Are the building materials of amino acids that are used for growth and repair. Excess proteins are converted into carbohydrates and used to provide energy.
- They provide energy in a more concentrated form than the carbohydrates. Excess of fat form part of the body fat.
- Used for growth and repair thus help to regulate body processes.
- Helps in regulating body processes.
- Like oxygen, water is neither considered as food or nutrient but it is essential for life. It is a component of our body and most foods.
The ability to do work and means more than just vigorous activity. It can be derived from carbohydrates, fats, proteins and alcohol. Not only in the body but, by also burning them.
All cereals, some fruits and vegetables contain substantial amounts of fibre (roughage) which are either digestible or indigestible. The body cannot absorb them therefore, they add bulk to the faeces.