Communicable Diseases That Can Kill You!
How do we define communicable diseases?
Diseases caused by faecal contamination
- Salmonella (E. coli, Salmonella typhi)
- Amoebic dysentery
- Control and prevention of helminthic diseases
- Diseases from animals and their products
- Airborne diseases
Initially, the causative organisms are excreted in the stool of infected person/ individuals (rarely animals).
The portal entry for such organism is through the mouth i.e. the faeces of an infected person to the GIT, susceptible animals.
This transmission is also known as the faecal-oral transmission route.
It occurs mainly through inapparent faecal contamination of food, water and hands.
Diseases due to Air Transmission
Transmission Through Direct Contact
However, you might get infected with some communicable diseases through direct contact.
A good example of this is athlete’s foot which is a fungal infection whereby your foot skin flakes off.
Therefore, you can get it through walking bare foot on a contaminated surface! Imagine that…
The best way to fight a disease is PREVENTION!
Now, how do you prevent yourself?
- Observing general hygiene i.e. personal, food, environmental e.t.c
- Nutrition– “You are what you eat”.
- Killing the vectors, which are organisms that transmitt the pathogens. Actually, one of these vectors include mosquitoes that carry the malaria parasite (protists).