Basic Knowledge on Counseling At Your Finger Tips!
Basically, counseling is the process whereby a trained professional utilizes appropriate resources to assist a client’s development according to mutually agreed guidelines.
Types of Counseling
i.) Individual Counseling– Client/counselor/Counselled.
Firstly, it provides the client with confidentiality. It provides an opportunity for closer relationship to develop between the counselor and the client.
Secondly, you can conduct it best to match your client’s pace of learning.
Thirdly, it is particularly helpful to client who wish to differentiate themselves from others.
Fourthly, the counselling offers the opportunity to the counselor to vary interactive style.
Lastly, it’s beneficial to client’s who find difficulties in sharing therapeutic time with others.
ii.) Couple Counseling.
The major concern with spouse relationships. In this type of counseling session, as a good counselor, you must concentrate on both parties when counseling. A good example is looking at both of them while explaining something.
iii.) Family Counseling.
Includes couple counseling and the children.
iv.) Group counseling.
Offers a fundamental difference of experiences from different individuals. Can be divided into small and big groups.
Some of the basic skills as a counselor you need are questioning, active listening, minimal proms (encouragers), working silence (time to reflect), immediacy, mirroring, confronting whereby; you maintain eye contact and politely face the silence for a client to respond. Here is a good example:
” I realize I asked you a question but you are still silent. Would you please share with me what is going on on your head?”
Further, there is another skill known as Advanced Level of Empathy. Actually, this is a highly challenging skill also known as guesses. Psychologists are best at it.
!!! EMPATHY is a core condition on humanistic approach but not a skill!!!
Actually, what is empathy?
It is simply being in the shoes of the counselled. As a counselor, you are not supposed to sympathize but you empathize. Just like in a home based setting and you are with a PLWHA who needs counseling. You imagine you are the one in that situation and you are in desperate need of solutions.
♥ You may check out The 4 Components of Home Based Care
Qualities of a Good Counselor
In order to be termed as a good counselor, you should have good:
- Listening skills – You should be able to pick the non-verbal cues. That means you should be a good communicator.
- Patience – Being able to tolerate delay, any trouble in your session or any suffering without getting upset or rather angry. Of course, you will come across such issues but patience is vital.
- Respectful – Clients need respect and it is proven that they listen and open up well/easily when you display this skill!
- Knowledgeable – As a good counselor, you must be know what you are talking about, how you capable you are to guide your client.
- Non-jugdemental – Good counselors never jump into conclusions.
- Empathetic – Be in your client’s “shoes”
- Flexible – Be easy with everyone, being able to “connect” with different types of clients.
Now, at least you have some information about counseling. It does not qualify you to be a counselor but at least you can be a big deal to someone. This brings out the reason as to why we need access to health services because even counselors need counseling! Otherwise, there are some further good articles like Life Skills of Knowing and Living with Oneself | Counseling, The 17 Essential Life Skills You Should Know.