4 Main Tasks of Health Care Professionals
As one of health care professionals, there are different tasks that we may carry out.
Therefore, here are the four (4) main tasks alphabetically:
- Liaising with County Health Officers and other officials responsible for supplies and supervision of the area.
- May need to order and store supplies e.g. equipment
- Maintenance of buildings and supervision of repairs.
- Keeping registers and preparing reports.
- Supervision of colleagues.
- Working with a village health committee.
b.) Technical Tasks
This refers to the actual health work of the health worker.
The problem solving process will go through the following stages:
- Collect information as much as possible by asking questions on areas of life e.g. feeding habits, housing, storage systems and hygiene.
- Interpret the information collected to identify the main dangers and problems i.e. what the problem is and your priority.
- Suggest solutions i.e. ways and means to solve the problems for example, the use of clean mat or clean piece of cloth or a bed for delivering.
- Explain to the community on how to carry out certain activities or organise and perform technical procedures.
- Evaluate by collecting data and make judgements on whether the activities proceeded well.
c.) Tasks related to Water in a Rural Community.
1. Collecting information which involves:
- Investigating the sources from which the community draws water. Examine each source and determine its adequacy, it’s degree of contamination and the methods by which it is collected.
- Estimate the seriousness or frequency of waterborne diseases within the community.
- Investigate people’s believes and customs relating to water, its supply and use.
Define the water problem of the community in general in essence, is it adequate? Are there seasonal shortages of water? How about the distance from the collection point? Is the source contaminated or is there contamination in the household?
3. Suggest Solutions.
- Suggesting methods of increasing the quantity of water e.g. by digging deeper into the ground.
- Suggesting methods of protecting water e.g. by covering it.
- Explain health hazards related to water.
- Suggest methods of protecting the following types of water: From well, spring, river e.t.c
- Advice on local methods to reduce contamination.
- Assess the household quantity of water.
- Estimate the level of water contamination.
- Estimate the levels of waterborne diseases.
d.) Tasks related to disposal of Excreta in Rural Communities.
First, investigate where community’s septic tanks are if they are many.
Secondly, examine each site and its efficiency.
Thirdly, check on the way they dispose excreta for example, flying toilets and water together leading to water tanks.
Finally, examine their believes and reasons for the use of each of the disposal methods e.g. illiteracy or ignorance.
Resources to read more: